World-class answers to real-world problems.
- Post Pandemic Ventilation
- Air Quality Solutions
- Modular/MMC (Modern Methods of Construction)
- Digital Engineering & Building Information Modelling
- Net Zero Carbon
- Data Centres
- PhotoVoltaic (PV) & Batteries
- Environmental Engineering
- Specialist Energy Modelling
- WELL Building Standard
- Environmental Engineering (Sustainable Solutions for the Built Environment)
The impact of Covid 19 on our working environment has yet to be fully understood and probably will not be totally quantified for some time to come.
It is evident based upon what we currently understand that ventilation strategies need to be reviewed and adapted to ensure that working environments offer the best air quality for users in line with current guidelines. WMEboom has a clear support strategy to help now and in the future.
WMEboom have a clear support strategy to help now, and in the future:
- Review Best Practice in accordance with current guidelines
- Review Current Ventilation & Occupancy
- Review Physical Constraints of Building Environment
- Design & Advise on Ventilation Strategy
- Check/Sign of adaptations
- Periodic Review
The long term impact of the Covid-19 Pandemic will no doubt require buildings to be designed, constructed and operated in a different manner to how they were pre-pandemic.
A key part of this will revolve around adequate building ventilation, whether it is in healthcare, commercial and retail spaces shared workspaces, and homes. It is now more important than ever to contain air-born contaminants and to reduce the risk of passive/active spread through air distribution paths.
- WMEboom has uniquely qualified experts in fields of airflow distribution, building physics, post-occupancy evaluation, and soft-landing
- WMEboom understands the interplay between building physics and airflow distribution paths
- WMEboom is passionate about indoor air quality and ensuring that occupants feel comfortable and safe within their spaces
- WMEboom can demonstrate how the existing systems (natural, mechanical or hybrid) can be adapted to improve the indoor air quality
- WMEboom have also developed the 3-step approach to designing safe energy-efficient air systems for new-builds in the post-pandemic era
- WMEboom can readily provide maintenance guidelines for ventilated spaces – ensuring these are closely followed will become crucial in avoiding future outbreaks
WMEboom have been at the front of the modular approach to design and construction for many years, regarding it as a progression from off-site fabrication and modern methods of construction (MMC).
For modular construction to be successful, it has to be implemented as a strategy earlier in the design process, forcing key decisions on servicing strategies, construction methodology, and procurement. When done correctly, it does offer huge advantages in the program, quality, and environmental performance.
- WMEboom has the expertise to develop and deliver modern methods of construction, including a modular approach for any project.
- WMEboom has a history of collaborating with manufacturers on improving existing products and proposing new design solutions to eliminate a wide range of design/construction/installation/maintenance issues.
- Each project is different, every location has its challenges and WMEboom always ensure that all the project-specific opportunities are discovered and utilised. No two projects are the same, even with a modular approach.
- Critical to the success of off-site fabrication is design for manufacture and assembly (DfMA). For a ‘cradle to cradle’ approach WMEboom promotes design for disassembly.
Building Information Modeling (BIM) sits at the heart of the digital transformation in the UK's construction sector.
For the construction industry, it provides a significant opportunity to evolve by improving efficiency, productivity, and stimulating innovations to tackle the challenge of design, production, and delivery.
Digital Engineering for WMEboom is the advanced use and integration of BIM, environmental analysis, and Mechanical Electrical Building Services design:
- WMEboom processes combine traditionally separate tasks (modeling, design, document production) into a single workflow, which leads to time-saving by increasing productivity and quality of design
- WMEboom offer bespoke solutions to tackle the challenges faced; WMEboom will adapt our processes to adjust to the specific and unique conditions of the project
- WMEboom utilise Digital Twin to create accurate predictions on physical development, ensuring decision making is based on informed predictions more than intuition
- WMEboom use digital design to test and break models in the early stages of design, so that building performance is not at risk once the design progresses
The UK is in a declared ‘Climate Emergency’ with a legally binding commitment to reduce Carbon emissions to 60% by 2030 from 1990 levels; targeting to meet a net zero by 2050.
Carbon reduction is imperative to meet the Paris Agreement targets of 40% reduction by 2030, and the UK’s target of net zero by 2050. Various organizations and government bodies have published relevant documents: The Centre for Alternative Technology’s “Zero Carbon Britain by 2030 roadmap”, RIBA’s “2030 Climate Challenge” and the London Energy Transformation Initiative (LETI) are energy policy proposals for legislation. They go beyond the on-site renewable energy targets produced from low and zero-carbon technologies (LZCT), by focusing on minimizing energy in use, transport emissions, waste management, lifestyle, and embodied carbon.
The 2019 Davos Summit conveyed the financial opportunity in green investment, with private and public funds becoming available to support sustainable development. It highlighted the cost of inaction and short-term is far outweighing the cost of meeting these targets.
- WMEboom understands that to meet the requirements of net-zero carbon, the objectives need to be strategic and integrated into the project from its outset, not an afterthought or retrofit.
- WMEboom has the skills, expertise, and experience to develop environmental engineering strategies that establish methodologies for demonstrating successful operational outcomes in use, which when successfully delivered, achieve higher reductions than a ‘promise’ made at planning.
- WMEboom is your Net-Zero Carbon reduction partner.
The demand for data has risen exponentially year on year, for most of our lives, with modern expectations for resilient and reliable sources of data being arguably ‘a human right’.
Right now, in a COVID-19 world, the home, as it has become a workplace, a school, and even an entertainment hub, has seen the progress for reliable services be as in demand here as in the workplace.
The data centres and computer rooms that feed this stream of data needs to be robust in the design, but energy efficient in their delivery.
- WMEboom’s global reach and experienced Engineers have the knowledge and capacity for your proposed scheme.
- WMEboom adopts a ‘Soft Landings Strategy’ throughout the project – engage Technical Engineering teams at the onset to ensure an Integrated Engineering and Design Solution; providing a ‘cradle to the cradle’ approach.
- Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE) – is geographically sensitive and requires an understanding of the opportunities and risks within the chosen location; WME Boom brings its Global knowledge and experience to maximise the opportunities and design out risk.
- Pre-Testing, Inspection, System Integrated Commissioning, and Operationally Evaluation – WMEboom is active throughout the complete process and is the right partner for successful delivery and implementation.
BREEAM is an international scheme that provides independent third party certification of the sustainability performance of individual buildings, communities and infrastructure projects.
It sets the standard for best practices in sustainable building design, construction, and operation.
- WMEboom is fully qualified third-party assessors, enabling us to support design teams in meeting performance targets and leading to environmental certification of projects.
- WMEboom Consultants come from a multi-disciplinary design background enabling us to provide constructive and pragmatic advice on sustainable developments.
- WMEboom will liaise directly with the Local Planning Authority to ensure that we fully understand the project before making recommendations.
- WMEboom will develop a BREEAM framework at the early stages, identifying the ‘base case’ for the required target, as well as aspirational ‘stretch’ targets to ensure your project reaches the best sustainable outcome
- WMEboom sits on the BSRIA Soft Landings user group and can apply the principles of Soft Landings to each stage of a project.
- Our team includes Design Council’s CABE Built Environment Experts (BEE), specialists that provide multi-disciplinary support to communities, local authorities, and developers involved in the built environment.
- WMEboom can undertake and manage the additional studies required for BREEAM e.g. energy modeling, thermal comfort studies, air quality assessments, environmental impact assessments, noise impact assessments, acoustics, daylighting, lighting impact assessments, and ecology assessments.
LEED promotes a whole-building approach to sustainability by recognising performance in five key areas of human and environmental health: Sustainable Site, Water Efficiency, Energy and Atmosphere, Materials and Resources, and Indoor Environmental Quality.
It is the most widely used green building rating system in the world, resulting in a prestigious green building certificate that is awarded for safe design, construction, and operation. It is available for almost all building types; providing a framework for healthy, highly efficient, and cost-saving green buildings.
- WMEboom LEED Accredited Professionals (APs), certified by the Green Building Certification Institute (GBCI), are qualified to guide clients and their projects to streamline LEED certification, improving performance and achieving goals while lowering lifecycle costs.
- Our LEED APs endeavor to adapt a highly detail-oriented project management process from the early design stage, providing project teams with comprehensive LEED guidance as well as instilling confidence that the project will efficiently achieve LEED certification.
- WMEboom will support the design team to refine their documentation as well as develop, maintain, and monitor all critical data, team information, and communication required to smoothly and successfully navigate to the targeted certification.
Advancements in solar photovoltaic (PV) power technology has pushed it from alternative to mainstream development, with improvements in mass production, efficiencies, continuity and quality.
Coupled with the availability of affordable chemical energy (batteries), that can shift the energy from point of generation to the point of demand, ensuring higher yield and lower reliance on the national grid.
Whilst there remain concerns relating to the embodied carbon in manufacture, ‘cradle to cradle’ design and use of finite resources such as lithium, this clean and silent electricity in a visually unobtrusive and environmentally friendly, ensuring it remains extremely appealing as we head towards a more green and renewable tomorrow.
- WMEboom understands the market trends and developments in technology, complete with emerging innovation in fabrication and application that provides the best value.
- WMEboom can determine the dynamic energy use that balances solar energy generation, with chemical energy storage, against occupant demands. Setting out profiles to deliver improved efficiencies.
- WMEboom can provide embodied energy calculations that determine the carbon emissions associated with the manufacture, transportation, and construction, as well as energy generated in use.
- WMEboom can develop PV and battery solutions to fit within a project’s overall energy strategy, complementing it, or reducing the reliance on PV solutions by implementing other better value solutions.
WMEboom, our skills, experience and knowledge have been honed to develop engineering services that address the challenges our industry faces over the coming years.
Providing sustainable solutions for the built environment and the spaces in between.
Our involvement from the briefing stage and master planning, through design, construction, and commissioning into operation and measurement of building performance. All encompass and address the agenda of environmental engineering design on all of our projects.
WMEboom has experienced and motivated professionals, whose common goal is to bring added value to every project. Whilst diverse in their skills this common goal allows our team to implement better working practices and develop innovative solutions in several ways.
One such associated environmental service offered by WMEboom Team, Environmental Assessment Methodologies:
- WELL Standard
- RICS SKA
If you are unsure of the correct environmental strategy, contact our experienced team at WMEboom for guidance on your next project.
Building energy modelling is a powerful tool to optimize a buildings form, envelope and systems to inform operation.
It supports an integrated design process to enable the best possible outcomes for project stakeholders. Quantifying building performance helps to maximise the return of investment from improved efficiency, integrated systems and renewable energy components.
WMEboom’s expertise in energy modelling is used throughout the design process to provide scientific evidence to make data-driven design decisions. We address strategies in a hierarchical order to reflect their effectiveness by reducing energy use at the source, propose efficient and renewable energy systems to offset carbon emissions. Iterative dynamic simulations are performed within the context of a site to enhance thermal conditions and maximise comfort.
We perform compliance modelling to ensure projects meet relevant energy codes and local authority requirements. Daylight studies are also performed at initial design stages to reduce reliance on artificial lighting and maximize visual comfort.
Modelling services offered by WMEboom Team:
- Dynamic Thermal Modelling Studies
- Part L compliance modelling for UK Building Regs
- ASHRAE 90.1 PRM 2016 assessment for LEED certification
- Comfort Studies
- CIBSE TM 52 and 59 Overheating Studies
- Daylight Studies using Radiance engine
WMEboom’s holistic approach enables projects to achieve considerable savings and develop the optimum design solution.
The WELL Building Standard is a performance-based system for measuring, certifying, and monitoring features of the built environment that impact human health and wellbeing.
Ten major concepts in WELL standard V2 include Air, Water, Nourishment, Light, Movement, Thermal Comfort, Sound, Materials, Mind and Community comprising up to 112 features.
WMEboom is passionate about creating healthy and environmentally sustainable environments where people feel included and promote activity and connection. We provide guidance on design credit validations from the concept stage, through schematic, detailed design, construction and handover stage. We collaborate with the design team by arranging WELL workshops, compiling documentation to demonstrate compliance, site visits and advice on operational management plans tailored to each project type.
At WMEboom, our skills, experience and knowledge have been honed to develop engineering services that address the challenges our industry faces over the coming years.
Our current services offered to support your project aspirations:
- Environmental Assessment Methodologies
- LEED, BREEAM, WELL Standard, Fitwel, RICS SKA, Minergie, Estidama, Mostadama
- Energy Master Planning
- Energy Strategy Development
- Energy Modelling
- Energy Management
- Energy Mitigation
- Soft Landings
- Post Occupancy Evaluation
- Digital Twin: Predictive Analysis
- Building Information Modelling (BIM)
- Daylight and Lighting Simulation
- Solar Insolation and Shading Analysis
- Acoustic Design and Planning
- External Lighting and Light Pollution
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- Internal and External Climatic Analysis
- Parametric Modelling and Analysis